Sunday, November 30, 2014

Explanations and New Beginnings

Hello Everyone!

I surely would like to believe that many of you are still following, and haven't lost interest in my blog. However, if it were the case that you perhaps have lost interest, I would entirely understand.

I have not blogged since January. Although I could waste some of your time explaining every reason that I have not been updating, I will not do such a thing. However, I do feel that I owe my very loyal readers a little explanation.

There are several reasons why I originally stopped writing and photographing my outfits for my blog:

1. My blog began to stress me out! What began as a stress-reliever and a creative expression for me had completely flip-flopped. I began to obsess over silly things like my body image, how often I was posting, online negativity, and the pressure to perform. I know this blog seems menial to some (I admit, I am not solving world hunger here), but for me it was important to live as a positive example for my some 30,000 followers I have spread all over the internet.. and it all began to become a little too much for me. My blog blew up too fast and I wasn't very good at handling it.

2. My life became extremely "boring" to me. 2013 was an amazing year. I traveled around the world, worked for Seventeen Magazine, was published in said magazine, worked with amazing brands like Nasty Gal and Asos, lived in NYC  and Paris, and so on and so forth. Let's just say that 2014 fizzled. Hard. I worked hard to finish my 4 year degree, and prayed that I would acquire my dream job. This did not happen as I planned, and still has not happened. I'm living in Ohio right now, and I'm incredibly bored and uninspired.

3. I felt like I was becoming manufactured. Let me explain. I picked up the blogging game when it was fairly new, I was one of the original Lookbook "front-pagers." I was really proud of this ... but then I felt like it began to ruin the essence of who I was a person, and what my blog was all about. I am a real person, with real struggles, and real hopes and dreams. However, I began to take on the persona of the internet... worrying about how many instagram likes my new photo would have, or how in the world I was going to make some of my sponsored clothing look good... because in reality I actually hated it.  What was once an expression of creativity and individuality became all about popularity, and I couldn't stand to admit that to myself.  

4. My style has changed. Living in Paris taught me the essence of black.. simplicity..chicness. I now kind of dislike jumping on every trend, and I prefer beautiful basics and the essence of a well-constructed garment. Let's be honest, this isn't the most exciting to show off and photograph. I'm no Chiara Ferragni.

5. Personal issues.. and well.. everyone goes through these. But they are best left private and personal. You can take my word for it.

If you are still reading this, thanks, I appreciate it... if you're not then, well, you're not but I understand. Many times throughout the year I said I was going to pick up the blog again, but then I would get too nervous, too anxious, etc, and I would "chicken - out" . My job searching had become my life, and I was beginning to feel like I was going to be forced to take some sterile job and I would never be able to be creative again. Never show off my talents again. Never do what I love again.

Then it hit me. Why in the world was I self-loathing to the point that I felt like I had nothing in front of me that I enjoyed. I do have something that I worked SO hard on right in front of me.. and I can go back to a time when I really, truly, honestly enjoyed this blog. 

Thank you to everyone who wrote me emails, asked when I was going to start this up again... You all kept reminding me how much fun it was to inspire others, even over something as unsubstantial as your wardrobe. 

To keep a long story short, here's to a new year of blogging. I hope you all will stick around and see what's new, and will continue on this journey with me. Who knows where I'll be in a month... 6 months... I have no idea. But what I do know is that doing what I love has been missing from my life for entirely too long, and I can't wait to get started again. 

I hope you all like what I bring to my blog this time around... I'm sure some of you won't, and that's ok! It's not about popularity, but it is about creativity and personal expression (and you guys rule so I know I won't have any "haters" regardless.)

MUCH LOVE TO EVERYONE

Oh yeah, and the good news, I'm updating with new photos tomorrow. Then I have three more sets edited and ready to go after that. I won't flake again.. I promise.

XO,
Olivia  

19 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia,

    I am super so grateful that you came back again, and I am so sorry for every negativity you had to go through for the past months and years. Wish I could have noticed your absence and given some encouragement to cheer you up. Seriously, I really appreciate that you decided to express your feeling that you've had for a long time here and explained what was happening while you are gone as your new fresh begin because you made me REALLY realize that I am not the only one who sometimes gets really irritated and bothered by social media, popularity, getting likes and followeres on FB and instagram and any kind of games happening as blogging. I can't thank you enough of your sharing. I would bookmark this post if there were such button!!

    I am very very excited to see your new outfit post and whatever you post here and to continue follow your new journey together as a blogger because I really love your smile as well as your fashion/style! Please don't be hard on yourself and don't forget that your beloved readers such as me are always there for you to lend you their shoulders or for any help. ;) GANBATTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Good luck in Japanese!)

    xoxo
    BIG LOVE from Seattle <3
    AikA
    ★BLOG★
    ★INSTAGRAM★
    ★FACEBOOK★

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aika, Thank you so much for your very heartfelt comment.. It almost put tears in my eyes. It is the presence of readers like you which made me miss blogging and the reason I am back... I will follow you and perhaps we can provide encouragement to each other from now on.

      Thank you ever so kindly (and I love that you have taught me some Japanese !)
      XO
      Olivia

      Delete
    2. Hi Olivia,

      I would love that! <3 <3 :)
      (I can teach you JP anytime dear!)

      xoxo
      AikA

      ★BLOG★
      ★INSTAGRAM★
      ★FACEBOOK★

      Delete
  2. Glad to have you back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie! You have always been a kind presence on my blog.. XO

      Delete
  3. This happen to everyone of us glad you are back and try blogging at your own pace,no pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! I'm glad you're coming back. Even more so that it's for you and your own enjoyment :) I've missed you! I send my love from my little island of Bermuda and look forward to what you will be posting. I've started a blog but haven't really begun because I nervous and a little afraid but I have to remember that somewhere out there, there are people like me that will enjoy what I enjoy and they will find me. Like I have found you :) So keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear!!! It makes me so happy to see that my blog has reached people around the world.. I am so jealous that you are enjoying from the sunny island of Bermuda! Remember, do not be afraid. There will always be critics but there will also always be people that love you and what you do!! Please let me know when you start posting on your blog.. I would love to read and write you a sweet comment like you have done for me!

      xo !

      Delete
  5. Olivia-I love your blog and your style but after reading this I like you more as a person even though I have never met you. All the struggle you have been through is something that I have been through along the years and I can quite understand how you feel with the body image issues, the negative comments and the pressure from the PR people. Nevertheless, I am happy that you are back and can't wait to see more of your future posts!

    kisses from Scotland,
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Anastasia ! I am so glad you are still reading ! Xo

      Delete
  6. So little sneaky me went to see the post from today and your hair grew and I feel like it's even lighter and I can tell you've changed. Honestly, I think it's for the better. Sometimes it's nice to have some time, may it be months or not, to realize where you stand in comparison to others. It's never good to judge yourself too hard or be unhealthily competitive, even though you win hands down in looks and cuteness and best blog and everything.
    I hope all this time you spent away from the blog made you realize how much you mean in other people's lives!! I loved your blog and when you stopped writing back in January, I went along for a couple weeks, thinking you were taking a short break. I didn't realize how much I missed your coat collection, blonde hair, bags and adorable writing. I kept you following you via Bloglovin' because I was hoping you'd come back. I waited and waited and it finally paid off. You don't know how much you inspired me for my own blog, both French and American. I love blogs that I can relate to and your clicked instantly, two years ago when you first started and I first followed you.

    Thank you for being who you and are having faith in the blogging community to come back! Good luck.

    Love,
    Emma

    http://petitemaisonoffashion.blogspot.com/ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, thank you so much for your reflective and amazing comment .. I even showed it to my father because it literally put tears in my eyes. Readers like you have been the reason I am back . I have faith in the blogging community due to people like you! Thank YOU! Xoxo

      Delete
  7. I'm really glad you're back at it! I've been following your blog ever since you were a Seventeen Style Council member and I really missed your posts! I hope you find your dream job someday soon. Meanwhile, you can keep inspiring us with your lovely outfit posts! I'm looking forward to them, especially since they're all you and not a popularity contest! :)

    http://fashamorphosis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. At the beginning I was always wondering when your next post might appear, but you're right with the time we don't think anymore about it. I'm so happy for you that you could find inspiration again.
    I'm currently in the same state as you. I get so stressed when I want to post something and I always compare myself with better blogger or also the blogger which run their blog as a job. In a way I'd love to do the same but I just feel that it's not interesting for others and I wouldn't be successful anyway. That's why I'm thinking about taking a break as well. How did you deal with the 'obligation' / feeling that you 'should be' posting?

    Thanks so much if you read this ;)

    xx Michaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear, thanks for always being such sweet reader ! Of course I read all of my comments ... I suppose I stopped doing a lot of collaboration posts, those made me feel the most stressed about deadlines. Now I mostly just make outfits from pieces I already have and I work on my own timeline.. It has helped relieve the stress ! My very best to you dear ! Xo

      Delete
  9. Happy to have you back. I have always loved your style.

    Jennifer Jayne xx
    jenniferjayne.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Yes, I still follow you :)) Cool that you are back!
    And don`t let stress you :)
    xo from Germany
    Esra

    http://nachgesternistvormorgen.de/

    ReplyDelete